Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Langston Hughes Portraiture

James Mercer Langston Hughes Portraiture painting. Langston Hughes is well known for his amazing writings. Heralded as one of the innovators of jazz poetry. Hughes was also a social activist, novelist, playwright, and columnist. About this painting...I finished this painting in one day over a duration of about 3 hours. This is huge for me since it normally takes me at least 8 hours to complete most of my digital paintings. Further proof of the more you do something the better AND faster you get. This is enough motivation to keep me going strong until the next growing pain hurdle that tries to slow me down.


Here's the sketch I started with. I find doing these kind of "underpainting" sketches allows me to see what needs to be changed before I paint. No guarantees nothing in the final painting will change but sketching this way definitely helped me speed up my painting process. Look forward to seeing more of these type of sketches from me

“An artist must be free to choose what he does, certainly, but he must also never be afraid to do what he might choose”  - Langston Hughes

No comments: